By far the worst part about being a mom is seeing your babies sick or in pain!!! The other day I got to experience this in full blast. Thursday night Ellie woke up screaming, we couldn't get her to eat or sleep at all. I looked up all kinds of things online and thought maybe she just has colic. After about 12 hours I knew it had to be something more so I dropped Carter off at a friends and headed to the doctor with my little girl. They did all the normal things (weight, height, temperature, ect.) and her temperature was high. The doctor needed to find out why so he ran a blood test, an X-ray of her tummy, and put a catheter in her to take a pee sample. After about an hour all the results came back normal except the blood test, it showed her white blood cell count at 23,000 which is almost twice the normal amount. He came in the room and told me I needed to take her to the hospital so they can do a spinal tap on her and start her on IV antibiotics. I guess the fever and high WBC count where a sign of a bad infection somewhere in her body and the doctor thought it might be meningitis. I freaked out. I was so scared. A spinal tap on a 2 week old??? Is that even possible? A million things ran through my head. I called Skyler and he met me at the hospital where Ellie was immediately admitted to the NICU. They didn't know what the infection was yet but they started her on IV antibiotics to fight whatever it was. Within hours the doctor did a spinal tap (HORRIBLE) and my poor girl became a human pin cushion.
The next morning we got the results from the spinal tap and they were NEGATIVE for meningitis, SUCH a relief, we knew she still had something...just not that. After a few days in the NICU and multiple tests ran on my little Ellie she was diagnosed with sepsis.
The antibiotics were working and within days her white blood cell count was back to a normal range and her fever was gone. The NICU released us as soon as 2 blood cultures taken 24 hours apart came back negative for bacteria in her bloodstream.
We were so relieved to know that she was going to be ok and she started to act like a normal baby again. Having a baby in the hospital is SO scary and absolutely heartbreaking but I know heavenly father was watching over us the entire time. We are so glad to be back home and have our babies in one nest again. She is on oral antibiotics for 7 days then we should be home free!! :)
House Projects of 2019
6 years ago

7 comments:
oh my goodness so scary! I can't even imagine. I'm glad that Ellie is okay and that you caught everything in time.
I am so glad she is ok! ThAt is so scary... She is such a doll and congrats to you!
So so glad she is ok. What is sepsis? Is it common in babies?
Poor baby. Glad she is on the mend. What an awful feeling that is when your baby is sick and in the hospital. Hope everyone stays healthy!
so glad she is doing better!
I'm glad she is ok! That is so scary! Love you guys
I'm sorry you guys had to go through that! I can't imagine how scary that must've been. I'm glad everything turned out okay, though.
Post a Comment